Sunday, January 11, 2009

MacGyver Moment

OK...we can all agree that neither Dave nor myself are all that handy. I'm perhaps more adventurous and am willing to jump into a DIY project, but honestly, my success rate is questionable. I can't even count the times Dave has said to me, "I can't believe you tried to do that yourself..." It's probably equal to the number of times he's heard me say, "Uh....I tried to fix the [fill in the blank], but I think I might have made it worse."

Today, however, was different!

We got yet more now overnight last night. When it came time to break out the snow blower, it wouldn't start. After investigating possible causes for a while, we noticed a little hole with nothing in it. I came up with the idea that it looked like a key hole for some sort of safety key like on a treadmill (pretending I actually own a treadmill). Ah ha! But where could the key have fallen? We shoveled and raked around in the snow that had blown into our ghetto carport/garagish type thing. Nothing. All we came up with was a flower tag from long since dead flowers. The entire neighborhood was abuzz with snow blowers, so I figured we should go see if someone else's key fit into ours. Frankly, I wanted to do this to prevent Dave from going out on some long, wild goose chase to every SEARs and Home Depot in the area to get a replacement key....he'd probably come back with a whole new snow blower.

Then Dave did it. He came up with the MacGyver idea of the century! Next thing I know he's ramming the flower tag in the little key hole and firing up the engine. IT ACTUALLY WORKED! We were both so proud of our handiness! Of course, I ran to get my camera.

PS: We actually found the key much later in the mudroom. We're thinking it fell out on the driveway last time the snow blower was used by Dave. Then I probably happened upon it and thought, "I don't know what this is, but I bet it's important!" and I popped it in the mudroom, promptly forgetting all about it.

1 comment:

Krista said...

So proud! :) Guess those zealous, never-say-die mailbox flowers still had a final bit of joy to spread!